Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS)
Dr. Martie Geiger-Ho earned a Ph.D. in interdisciplinary fine arts and a M.F.A in ceramics and sculpture at Texas Tech University in Lubbock, Texas. Inspired by myths and surviving rituals about the craft and processes of pottery making and firing, her figurative ceramic deities, masks and installations are modern interpretations of the pottery legends. Prior to teaching at Universiti Brunei Darussalam, Dr. Geiger-Ho taught ceramics, sculpture and art history at University of Pittsburgh at Bradford, Hong Kong Baptist University and Mississippi University for Women. She has participated in numerous international and regional exhibitions including fourteen solo exhibitions. Her works have been exhibited and collected in the United States, Canada, Japan, Brunei Darussalam, Hong Kong and China. Her research articles have been published in several journals, including Ceramics Monthly, Ceramics Technical and The Studio Potter. Her book, The Worship of Kiln Gods: From the Temples of China to the Studios of Western Potters, was published by Outskirts Press, July 2012.
- Ceramics & Product Design
- Sculpture and 3D Design
- Mixed Media and Multimedia Art
- Introduction to Visual Art
- Art History
- Bruneian Traditional Art and Craft
- Directed Study
- Capstone Project
- MA in Art by Research
- Geiger-Ho, S. K. (2014). China from the South China Sea, Universiti Brunei Darussalam, Brunei Darussalam
- Geiger-Ho, M. (2012). Fire Gods, Dragon Kilns and the Daring Deeds of Potter’s Working in Taiwan, Universiti Brunei Darussalam, Brunei Darussalam.
- Geiger-Ho, M. (2012). Transcending Culture and Space: A Community Art Project. Overseas Federal Assistance Award, U.S. Department of State and U.S. Embassy Brunei Darussalam, Brunei Darussalam.
- Contemporary ceramics & pottery
- Kiln gods and related Western and Asian folklore
- Sculpture (stone, metal & wood)
- Fused glass
- Jewellery design (silver clay)
- Product design
- Installation art
- Chinese traditional folk arts and handicrafts
- Performing art
- Art of the Third Reich
- Public art – mosaic murals
- Collaborative community art
- Asian Studies – South China Sea
- Creative Industries – art tourism
- Geiger-Ho, M. (2012). The Worship of Kiln Gods: From the Temples of China to the Studios of Western Potters, Parker, CO: Outskirts Press.
- Geiger-Ho, M. (2013). Origins of kiln gods. Ceramics Monthly, 61(8), 26-27.
- Geiger-Ho, M. (2013). Rewriting the signpost: Memories of misdirection. The Asian Conference on Arts & Humanities 2013 Official Conference Proceedings, 37-46.
- Geiger-Ho, M. (2007). Playing with fire and kiln gods. Ceramics Technical, 24, 98-100.
- Geiger-Ho, M. (2000). Guardians of fire and clay: The legacy of China’s kiln gods. The Studio Potter, 28(2), 49-54.
Phone: +673 246 0923 ext 1137