Since its establishment in 2001, as a Centre for Teaching English, the Language Centre (LC) has grown to include a range of languages and currently teaches over 2000 students each semester. Students are able to take individual modules and may also take minors in Arabic, French, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin and Borneo Languages. A wide range of teaching methodology is used to cater to different learning styles.
Aside from small group discussion and traditional methods, other activities include project work, use of technology, games, language clubs and a range of more public activities including speech competitions, foreign film nights, cultural festivals, and interactions with various embassies, exhibitions, drama, dance and presentations. The LC enjoys enormous support from various embassies and high commissions.
- Borneo Languages (including Brunei Malay, Iban, Belait, Dusun, Tutong and Lun Bawang)
- Malay Language & Communication Skills
- English language & communication skills
In addition to the important work of teaching languages, the Centre also provides a range of services including:
- Language consultancy with government departments and with industry
- TV and radio voice overs
- Professional communication skills training
- Assistance with English which supports International Post-Graduate students with their English language and Academic skills. The aim is to maximise their opportunities for success while they are studying at UBD
- Teaching and preservation of indigenous languages
- A Folklore Project with Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka Brunei to preserve local stories and make them available for future generations
- Mapping all language courses to the Common European Framework
- An APA academic referencing style manual for UBD students and staff
The LC aims to:
- Become a Model Centre of Excellence for language teaching and services.
- Provide internationally recognised Intensive English, Arabic and Malay programmes for the international market.
- Provide premium language-related services in terms of translation, editorial work, and specialised language training.
- Staff publish papers in a range of journals and present at conferences ensuring that the work of individuals and the Centre is shared with others and that the LC continues to contribute to Universiti Brunei Darussalam’s goals for a top 50 Asian ranking.
Staff publish papers in a range of journals and present at conferences ensuring that the work of individuals and the Centre is shared with others and that the LC continues to contribute to Universiti Brunei Darussalam’s goals for a top 50 Asian ranking.